PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - are you proud to be a pilot?
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2010, 14:07
His dudeness

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the difficult part is fixing it..................which is where the Professional Engineer comes in.
Oh yeah. The other day I had a leak in the gear blow down system (3000PSI Nitrogen) I was only able to report it, since I´m just a lowlife pilot.
MX came and changed the gauge ('its almost everytime the gauge', mx said)

Next day, same problem. Called mx. 'oh, they must have sent us a faulty gauge'.
Being curious, I used a mirror to check S/N's between emer gear blow down and emer brake bottle. Sure enough the highly skilled and trained engineer (a person that is allowed to sign stuff, I shall add) had changed the wrong gauge.
It seems to be VERY difficult to read discrepancies properly and act accordingly.

So hat off to you, sir, I´m suitable impressed by the hardships and great responsibility you have in your fast moving enviroment.

Irony mode off...

Actually I have great respect fo mx engineers, ATC people, met office guys, baggage handlers, tow tug drivers and all the other guys making my little world work, but I´m not allowing them to lower my part of it.

Making the flight experience looking and feeling seamlees is my goal, considering the fact with what I sometimes have to put up with I´m kinda proud sometimes. (ever tried a 20 minute turnaround at UUEE in winter?) Haven´t had a flying accident yet, another thing I feel good about.
As a coorperate pilot I do have more than just a few hats on, managing not only the flying, but doing flight prep, getting permissions, airport slots, order handling, Hotels, Catering, Fuel, do emission trading etcetc. and all of that cost effective I guess my skills are somewhat more than that of a skilled worker (but yes, flying itself can be taught to a lot people)