PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS rears its head again
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2010, 13:33
Capn Bloggs

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
Dick,
What about Class G – that is where in the terminal environment, the separation responsibility – when in cloud – can rest on the shoulders of a minimum hours IFR pilot, ie. there is no separation standard for when in IMC and there is nothing to stop a low-time pilot – or even high time pilot - setting a risky separation “standard”. That’s what happened at Orange a couple of years ago, where an airline aircraft was attempting an approach from the east when in cloud and a bank run pilot was attempting an approach from the west – both estimating the circuit area at about the same time.
On the other hand you and Ledsled are quite happy to have me blast off in busy E airspace, VFR because a clearance is not available, all on the pretext of avoiding a midair by looking out the window. Crazy. What separation standard would you suggest I use in this situation? You see (well, obviously you don't) just because I know exactly where to look (so-called Alerted See and Avoid) I must Avoid first whilst looking, because there's a good chance I'll never see him, or pick him up too late to do anything about dodging him.