PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anyone find the Lung Funtions difficult?
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2002, 13:40
Thundercat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Damn - I suppose it was a bit naive to thing they would have anything less than state of the art medical technology at Gatwick!

QDM, sound advice as usual and you've definitely done a great deal to allay some of my fears. I've never had asthma as such, although when I was about 10 years old I took a ventolin inhaler for about 6 months - I think it was initially triggered by a chest infection and went away just as fast as it came. Don't think it was ever classified on my med record as asthma but I suppose I had better go and check with my GP in case I make any false claims on my Class 1 application.

I think my strategy will be just to go for the Class 1 and see what happens. I've heard various stories of asthmatic people getting through after being made to run round the building and being 'breathalised' again with the Peak Flow machine so there's hope yet I guess! I understand that the CAA refer you to a lung physician themselves for a cost of £150 if you fail on the grounds of the lung funtion and they will pass/fail you on his/her appraisal of your condition - does anyone know more on this?

And QDM, think there's a strong element of truth in what you say about me just being crap at these tests - the nurse said the same thing, although her coaching was pretty useless! By the way QDM - I see you're from Devon - which airfield/airport do you fly from?