PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS rears its head again
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2010, 03:42
Capn Bloggs

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
Round and round the merrygoround, here we go again. We are back to square one, although with some interesting admissions:

These figures must be available
So you are basing your complete argument on the fact that you don't even have any statistics, and will simply use the US rates, even though the whole system is demonstrably different?

figures for C over D are going to be very hard to get from experience, as we are the only country who has this type of airspace – and we hardly have any traffic movements in it.
Open your eyes. Apart from an arcane airspace label, we have been using C over D for decades. It is mind-boggling that you can be so blinkered that you will ignore (maybe you didn't even know) what has been going on in your own backyard for years and years.

We only have a very limited experience with E airspace, ie. twelve months, and there were no mid-airs.
Your are joking, aren't you? The Tobago at Launy gave you the clearest message ever and you're ignoring it. Wake up.

What about Class G – that is where in the terminal environment, the separation responsibility – when in cloud – can rest on the shoulders of a minimum hours IFR pilot, ie. there is no separation standard for when in IMC and there is nothing to stop a low-time pilot – or even high time pilot - setting a risky separation “standard”. That’s what happened at Orange a couple of years ago, where an airline aircraft was attempting an approach from the east when in cloud and a bank run pilot was attempting an approach from the west – both estimating the circuit area at about the same time.
So? They didn't have a midair, did they? You can't have it both ways, Dick. You can't ignore one fact, that we almost had a midair in Launy almost immediately after you introduced non-radar E, and then pounce on an isolated event IFR pilots being unable to self-segregate? Be consistent and stop selectively quoting events to suit your argument.

The low-time VFR who is not talking poses a greater threat to me than an errant IFR pilot. I had encounter with a VFR at KTA the other day when he said "we should be well clear, we'll hold out of your way". He actually ended up holding at 6nm final, right where we were intending to go, which caused a significant amount of gnashing of teeth in our cockpit when we finally realised what was going on. And that was after numerous calls between us. In E, that same pilot will have even less information to base his actions (or indeed alerting radio calls) on.

there is no separation standard for when in IMC and there is nothing to stop a low-time pilot – or even high time pilot - setting a risky separation “standard”.
The same applies to VFR keeping away from a jet! You are hung-up on See and Avoid - it is generally too late to avoid me when (if) you finally see me. What occurs when we meet will be based entirely on what you and I had organised BEFORE you get a visual on me.

At last, J Mac/CASA has killed off Dick's favourite mantra:

"Be heard, Be Seen, Be Safe: carry and use your radio" and on the back:

"Use your radio. If in doubt, speak out".