PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Thomas Cook cadet scheme
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2010, 13:23
Chief Brody

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bugs Bearing Boxes,

Not sure Id agree that the D8 is as forgiving as you infer - I went seneca then dash and had more than one sleepless night during my first 6 months. As an aircraft its an ergonomic pain in the arse with such beauties as its alt capture arming button, the gravity gear extension checklist from hell as well as its tendancy to try and flip you on its back when doing efatos in the sim. Despite those 'isms' and many others I think back on it as very worthwhile from a learning curve pov.

...I also smile at the ships library being under your crew bag storage area for 'easy' access when you need those pesky Prestwick alternate plates going into Glasgow on a stormy night - another bombardier gem.

Compare that to the A320 with its extremely benign efato characteristics - no need for aileron input just rudder and backstick, a gravity gear extension procedure that can be completed in 30 seconds and the fact that george can be engaged at 100ft compared to the D8s 1000ft and I know where Id rather spend my working day.

Have many good memories flying the egg whisk though......gear getting stuck halfway through the retraction sequence, hyper sensitive proximity sensors on the doors causing cautions at least once a month, rudder trim runaway, high fuel temp readings, random autopilot approach mode failure - quite the baptism of fire.