PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS interview process
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2010, 12:09
Scrotchidson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Applying for ATCO

HammerThrower

I left school after my A-Levels at 18 and was pretty sure I wanted to be an ATCO. I didn't go Uni because I knew I'd come out with at least 15K debt and wasn't really set on any of the courses available to be honest. I got a job when I left school and have been in the same job for two and half years and am now a manager. I applied for NATS over a year ago and failed at Stage 3 - reapplied this year and passed.

I believe the main thing that has helped me pass Stage 3 this time around was confidence in doing group exercises and have I gained life experiences to be able to answer the compentency questions during the interview. I gained this through working where I do, managing a team where you gain real life experience.

Some of the questions at Stage 3 are like 'Give us an example when you have dealt with a difficult situation or difficult person' or 'Give us an example when you have been successful/unsuccessful'

I feel you gain these experiences better in jobs rather than at Uni, I''m not trying to put you off Uni but I've seen some guys come through and struggle to answer these questions because at Uni they haven't been in these type of situations.

I agree with mixmastermike - gain some life experience, get a good job, save some money and enjoy your youth!

S