PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - are you proud to be a pilot?
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2010, 08:55
Kelly Hopper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The "industry" is not some abstract entity. It is people. And it is these people that treat others so badly.
People in commercial aviation used to look after one another. Supporting each other, ( a little at least) so every improvement was in everyones interest. It was a gentleman's flying club. Knowledge was handed down.

Now it seems a race to get to the top of a collapsing ladder throwing off anyone who dares to be on "your" ladder, in your way.

Perhaps a sign of the times everywhere? In a world where standards mean nothing to anyone anymore. It's all about productivity. Pay the least, extract the most. If you don't/ won't do it, bye bye.....next!

Newbees simply can't see the wood for the trees. "Don't put your hand in the fire, it will hurt." No matter how many times you hear it you don't see it 'til you put your hand in that fire!

"Proud to be a pilot?" Well, proud for what I have achieved yes. Proud of what the job is, for what it has become? No way. Do I enjoy flying still? Yes. Do I enjoy the job? No.

If I had it all again I'd stick to flying privately and use my skills to have a career that values me and a life away from work rather than sacrifice family, relationships, hobbies, friends, home, pension, and all the things that others take for granted so I can earn a very modest income averaging one year in two-three!

Things can only get better.... everyday is a day closer to hanging up that flightbag.