PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS rears its head again
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2010, 06:32
Dick Smith

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts
Owen Stanley

All you are showing by your Post #757 is just how utterly fixed in concrete your thinking is. I can assure you, a radar in a centre only requires one paint of an altitude below the LSA/MSA and it will set off the alarm if the pilot has not cancelled IFR.

You do everything you can to show that there’s no way we can offer a safer service at a place like Benalla. Well, you are wrong.

It’s the reason people like you are not used when decisions need to be made laterally looking at how to make improvements and changes with existing systems.

By the way, I don’t want you to monitor the approach to 1,090 feet – that’s impossible, considering the coverage of the radar. However, if the radar coverage is below the legal minimum safe LSA, I would prefer the alarm system to be enabled.

At Proserpine, the radar coverage from the centre goes well below the mountain tops in the aerodrome vicinity. However, if I remember correctly, pilots change off the radar frequency at 4,500 feet on descent and the alarm system is not enabled at the centre anyway.

Owen Stanley concrete, concrete, concrete. I’ve encountered people like you for years. They were the ones who said we couldn’t possibly use international airworthiness standards and accept foreign airworthiness certificates from five leading countries.

They were wrong. We have saved tens of millions of dollars, and safety has not decreased in any way.