PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helios Crash
Thread: Helios Crash
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2010, 22:00
Kiltie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slight thread drift but this is pertinent to many 737 operators in recent months / years "returning" to the basic Boeing manufacturer's SOPs and checklists as is the trend these days with the supposed fear of litigious exposure.

In my opinion many of the lessons learned from decades of airlines' millions of hours flown, operating experience & accident report reviews have been dumped, opening up a lot of Swiss cheese holes again.

For instance, latterly my previous employer removed the Captain's challenge of "Set Flaps" (provoking the PM who was setting the flap to not be led in to a trap of the usual setting of 5 but to think about the setting they had briefed during the performance review some minutes before) and returned to Boeing's method of "Set Flaps 5/10/15". This was defended only by that tiresome cliche "standard Boeing."

I recall BAe's manufacturer's checklists were painfully long winded during busy stages of flight which my then employer made a good job of adjusting to make more practical, sadly my Boeing experience has been quite the reverse in that the manufacturer's checklist is sparse in comparison to that of the airline's.

It seems to be popular to berate airline's own checklists and praise the manufacturer, but I've seen a lot of good stuff dropped because of it. I'd be interested to hear others' opinions on this.