PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CRJ Autopilot anomalies
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2010, 21:55
Admiral346

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CRJ Autopilot anomalies

A Gojet Airlines Canadair CRJ-700 on behalf of United Airlines, registration N160GJ performing flight G7-7374/UA-7374 from Oklahoma City,OK to Chicago O'Hare,IL (USA) with 70 people on board, was enroute at FL350 about 140nm south of Kansas City,MO when the airplane suffered a control system anomaly. The crew diverted to Kansas City, where the airplane landed safely about 30 minutes later.

The NTSB reported one person received serious injuries in the upset.

The remainder of the flight was cancelled.
from "The Aviation Herald"

This case might have another cause, but it got me interested. I have had a few autopilot anomalies on the CRJ, and am wondering if any of you CRJ pilots have experienced similar:

Climbing through FL308, FL320 selected, modes v/s 1000fpm and FMS1 engaged, M0.80, CM1 PF, aircraft CRJ900 without autothrust. The aircraft started to pitch DOWN and roll right, I disconnected the a/p at ND 5° and bank approximately 15-20° right. Carefully I handflew it back to FL320, disengaged and reengaged the FD, then the a/p. The rest of the flight went without further incidents. No faults were found afterwards.

I have been made aware that the old CRJ200 sometimes went into ALT aquire a bit to early and pitched up quite a bit in CLB mode (hold a selected speed by pitch). In my case it pitched down, though, and I was in v/s, not CLB...

I am interested in similar anomalies -

Nic