PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Building work set to start at LTN
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2002, 11:21
brabazon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A post from another Luton Town FC fan...

I've got a copy of a book called The Story of Luton International Airport By Jaimie Glass and written in 1988.

It gives an interesting history of the developement of the airport and ends with a few comments on the future (as seen in the 1980s). Apparently in 1985 the Airport published "a lengthy and comprehensive document entitled "Towards Five Million" which laid out objectives for the future development of LIA". This target was expected to be met in the 1990s - which I guess it just managed to do by the late 1990s with easyJet. However, in the 1980s the then new terminal was expected to be enough and the traffic would come from charter flights and the redirection of flights by the government from Heathrow. How things changed.

I have used the airport often and know it's not the best designed one in the world, but it's convenient for me and functional. I do think the fact that easyJet don't indicate which plane is for which destination can cause problems and when we arrived the other day we had to be bussed to the terminal as we were near the Britannia hangar. We then got delayed by a tug blocking the road.

So will Luton expand much more, or with the easy/go merger will their growth stagnate further or will they even reduce their activity?