PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - are you proud to be a pilot?
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2010, 15:41
EGHH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to agree with GW. Some people just dont know how lucky they are...or perhaps they just took up flying for the wrong reasons (lots of them about)?
This reminds me of an old anecdote I'm sure everyone has heard loads of times - I can't remember where it comes from and I'm likely to be paraphrasing somewhat, so bear with me...

On a glorious sunny afternoon a man is sat in his deckchair, surveying his freshly mown lawn as a light aircraft flies overhead. "Man, I wish I was up there, I bet it's a beautiful day to fly" he thinks. Not long afterwards, the light aircraft pilot happens to spot a 747 flying far overhead on the way to some exotic location. The light aircraft pilot thinks to himself "Damn, I can't wait for the day when I get to fly a big jet like those guys. I bet they have such an amazing lifestyle, constantly jetting off to amazing places." Up in the 747 cockpit the eagle eyed F/O happens to spot the Space Shuttle zoom across the sky on the way to the International Space Station. He thinks to himself "That has the be the ultimate job. I wish I was onboard up there, floating around in space, looking down on the world. I bet they don't have all the hassle and politics we get. Those guys are sooo lucky.". Up on the International Space Station, a homesick astronaut looks down to see his hometown through the crystal clear skies and thinks to himself "Man, I can't wait to go home. If I was at home now, I'd be sat in my lawnchair enjoying some late afternoon sun with my family. Those guys down there are soo lucky."

I think the gist is that the grass always seems greener on the other side, especially in aviation (I think another version has somebody on the Space Shuttle wishing they were bimbling around in a spamcan).