PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A very good military read
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2010, 12:44
PLovett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have just trawled through all of the pages of this thread and found that I have read most of the books, as distinct from novels, mentioned. I have always enjoyed military themed books, probably due to the vicarious thrills they offered until I picked up a second-hand book in a shop in Alice Springs, Australia.

It was The Scars Of War by Hugh McManners. His book on the Falklands Island conflict has already been mentioned in this thread. This book, which uses the Falklands and first Gulf war as its models, starts off by describing the differences between the peace and war time military. It describes the differing psyche between the forces and then it describes, in detail the physical and mental impact of war.

It is brutal to say the least. To read what a high-velocity round does to human flesh will totally alter the way you view movies. His description of triage procedures is haunting. The description of PTSD and the higher echelons attempts to ignore the problem is depressing.

It should be read. Firstly, it makes you realise that not all soldiers have glorious campaigns and secondly, it will make you appreciate the more the efforts being made to rehabilitate those who are the unfortunate victims of war.