PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Luftwaffe Canberras
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2010, 19:40
Tim Mills

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My first job as a civilian after leaving Her Majesty's employ was flying dayglow painted Canberras for Rheinflugzeugbau, based at Cologne airport, which had been RAF Wahn in earlier days. While on my CPL course someone came round looking for ex Canberra pilots, and it sounded more interesting than the air taxi or instrucional flying then in the offing.
We then had two British pilots, the navigators all being Luftwaffe, as was the boss. Later first one, then myself, were replaced by German civilian pilots. But not before I had managed another few hundred happy hours of Canberra flying, on photo survey within Germany, radar calibration for the military radars, and several trips to such places as Yeovilton, St Mawgan, Deccimammanu (if I remember correctly), Naples, and a Greek military airfield, never, though, do I remember going to Lossie.
Great fun, and we all got on very well. Then when I had to make way for a German pilot, I had to upgrade to ATPL, and get a proper job on the Falcon 20 and HS 125 flying out of LHR, and occasionally managing to get back to Cologne and visit my old friends. Those were the days.