PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice on staying current (Am I just wasting my money?)
Old 26th Apr 2010, 22:42
North of the Field

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Portshabourflyer,

I suppose (as silly as it seems looking at job adverts in the current climate) that the airlines (loco, regional or otherwise) appear to be the only place that will (eventually/hopefully) look at someone who does have a low number of hours such as myself (240hrs). Don't know if I'm wrong in thinking this, but it seems that the biz jet avenue is even more difficult a route to go down (I assume because those that can afford to sit in the back would prefer a higher level of experience up front), I'd be more than happy to do air taxi work but I believe the minimum these days is 700hrs (which I can appreciate being single pilot ops usually). Unfortunately that does make it very difficult for someone such as myself who isn't blessed with a massive wallet to get on.

You ask did I just set out to be an airline pilot? the answer is no, I took this path (and I'll be the first to put my hands up and say that doing it the integrated route wasn't a good idea considering my financial position) because I wanted to go to work with a smile on my face doing something I enjoy be it flying whatever! As long as I'm getting paid enough to service my debt and have enough to live on then that's ok.... maybe I want too much from this flying lark!