PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DHC-6 Questions:
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2010, 19:08
DHC6to8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All this technical talk is killing my ears!

Hej guys, I have seen a Twin Otter flown in almost every condition imaginable... Dhc-6 300 full flap t/o in 50 knots of wind, empty on both floats, wheels, and also skis. If the rnwy is short, land with full flaps and c/l max, if you run out of rudder use differential power to straighten the nose with centerline... I have had success with that method on floats, and wheels... with skis I always landed into wind if I could. Don't touch the tiller bar until you are finished flying the aircraft... I once saw an RCMP Twin Otter go all over the rnwy after touchdown because the pilot started to play with the tiller too early in a heavy crosswind - he went right off the rnwy and "staition 60'd" the nose gear. On floats, normally pitch locks are installed to keep the props in fine pitch so you have immediate thrust available after engine start... Use the doors and keep them closed... I once had to ferry a machine back to base empty because one of the engineers took the copilot's door off to repair something and another guy thought it needed to go in for maintenance and stuck it on the next flight out... not sure if there was as supplement for that .... but it sure was noisy and drafty. If you have good skills you can use the Otter like the work horse it is... if you don't and you start to push the limits, you can get yourself into trouble very quickly...
Fly safe brethern... and enjoy the Otter!
6to8