PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2010, 12:01
holdmetight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Training at FTA

Before you read on, take the usual pinch of salt. I would advise everyone to make sure of the accuracy of this information before regurgitating in the interview. This post is about the "training aspects of the cadet pilot programme", a topic that people doing Stage 1 in HKG need to do a presentation on. For those who are doing Stage 1 elsewhere, perhaps you might be quizzed during your interview, so have a look. Please feel free to correct or update as necessary, and good luck to all.

Flying
Basically during the cadetship training in FTA, you do seven modules. Each module is a series of sorties and exercises aimed at achieving a main goal. You must pass an exercise before being allowed to move onto the next. Information on the modules are as follows.

Module 1 - Basic Handling Skills
You fly the Grob 115 and learn BAC in the local training area. When you complete your first solo, you officially move onto Module 2.

Module 2 - Handling Skills Consolidation
You fly the Grob 115 and refine your handling skills, and you learn "advanced" procedures such as PFL, PSL, Advanced Stalls, etc. You officially finish Module 2 and move onto Module 3 when you are awarded your GFPT.

Module 3 - VFR Navigation
You fly the Tobago TB10, and are introduced to CSU operation and given a Tobago endorsement before starting. The focus of this module is self-explanatory. I don't think there is any special milestone to signal your passing onto Module 4, but you can expect it to happen when you finish the series of navigation exercises meted out by the school.

Module 4 - IFR Navigation
You fly the Tobago TB10, and the focus of this module is, again, self-explanatory. This is not your instrument rating training, it is just to give you a "taste" of what IFR is like. Perhaps it is also used to satisfy the requirements of an Australian PPL, though they don't actually give you one. If you pass this module, you are given gold bars on your epaulettes that you wear on your uniform, to signify you are have reached the level of a PPL pilot.

Module 5 - HKCPL
You fly the Tobago TB10, and you mainly do the required (cross-country) navigation exercises to build your command time for the issue of your HKCPL. As you may have already guessed, you officially finish this module when you pass your GFT (General Flying Test) and are awarded your HKCPL. When you get your HKCPL, the school will hold a Wings Ceremony in which you are awarded a pair of silver wings to wear with your uniform.

Module 6 - MECIR
You fly the Diamond DA42, and you are taught Instrument Flying and Multi-Engine procedures. When you finish this module, you are awarded with your MECIR. With that your flying in FTA should be finished, and it is time to do the dreaded ATPL examinations.

Module 7 - Aerobatics
I'm not sure if this is an official module. Aerobatics flights can be spread out through the course of your cadet training. You fly the Mudry CAP10 and do aerobatics. I'm not sure of the exact details though. You aren't expected to gain an aerobatics endorsement through the training, I suppose the aim is to make you confident in recovery from super unusual attitudes.

Jet Transport Simulator
After finishing your ATPL exams and before graduating, you do 15 sorties in a B737 simulator. You are taught multi-crew operations in a jet environment, and I think that you are taught to use Cathay procedures as well (Dragonair procedures if you are a KA cadet).

Total Flying Time Logged: ~220 hours
Licenses Awarded: Australian GFPT, HKCPL, HKMECIR, HKfATPL

Ground School
My source of information comes mainly from the HKCAD website, so if anyone who knows better can correct me, please feel free to do so. You do a lot of theory in FTA, there are so many subjects that I don't really feel confident of naming them all, in case I mislead anyone. However, there are a list of subjects that the HKCAD has named for the CPL and ATPL examinations. They are as follows:

HKTECH (CPL ground-school exams)
Aerodynamics, Engines, Electrics and Autoflight, Airframe Systems, Loading, Performance, Human Performance, Signals

HKATPL subjects
Meteorology (Practical), Meteorology (Theory), Navigation, Flight Planning, Instruments, Radio Navigation, Radio Telephony

Besides these, you do a jumble of other things, such as type endorsement exams for each aircraft you fly, HK Air Law, Pre-(Area)Solo exams, BAK, maths and physics, etc. If asked in the interview, I would advise people to focus on the subjects for HKTECH and ATPL, unless you have solid information on the variety of other subjects done outside these exams.

Hope this helps. Good luck all!

Last edited by holdmetight; 26th Apr 2010 at 12:57.