PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mayday Mayday...Black Screen of Death!!
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2002, 23:32
BoeingBoy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks so much for your replies.

I coudn't originally get the BIOS flash to run just by booting from the floppy. I had to create an MS-DOS start disk in WinXP (Right click the A drive).

Booted from that, got an A: prompt, changed disks and typed in AUTOEXEC.BAT, hey presto the BIOS went in, lots of pretty white blocks telling me all was well. Load finshed, the screen went back to an A: prompt. At that point I hit CTRL/ALT/DEL to restart and got my two tone short beeps and sod all since. Looks like a 'Parity Circuit' failiure in the AMI codes, but as you say it looks like this is more an 'Award' procedure. So a RAM problem listed there.

I have just updated the RAM by 512mb this week, so should I take that out and try booting with original 256 stick in?

Thanks again for all your help. I should say that the supplier has agreed to order a new 6382 board, but it's going to take a week or more to come.

Frankly, as this flash was supposed to cure a corruption of the BIOS clock each time I started from power up then I am not sure I want a third 6382. It seem's worth spending the money on a better board.