PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 Engine-Out Acceleration
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2010, 18:13
fredgrav

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's perfectly safe and it is the normal technique used in the simulator for LST and LPC. Bear in mind that the acceleration is done level, not climbing (Push to Level Off - V/S 0). The likely exception, as I wrote above, is for close-in turns in the EOSID or GA procedure with an associated speed restriction when it might be appropriate to select flap 2 due to the increase of indicated A-prot speed in manoeuvres.

Hi wingswinger,
here's, as depicted by Airbus, the One Engine-out Takeoff Path (assuming the "critical" engine fails at Vef), where the acceleration is done level; though it is not the One Engine-out Landing Climb/Go-around path.

As a one engine inoperative approach is flown with Flaps 3, the initial flap retraction is to Flaps 2
RETRACT FLAPS ONE STEP
At this point, the "ON SCHEDULE" as well as the 2 previous quotes, make me think that retraction has to be carried out sequencially, as for every normal go-around. As I said, that's my belief, and can be either right or wrong.
A reference beyond FCOM's and FCTM's could be the Airbus briefing note "Getting to grips with aircraft performance":
http://pilotlab.net/aircraft-manufac...erformance.pdf

If possible, could you post a reference where it is written that "retraction goes directly from CONF 3 to 1" and this is "the normal technique used in the SIM" ? ...

Many Thanks,
fredgrav
____________________________________________________________ _

Fredgrav, Just out of curiosity, have you actually ever flown a A320 or any aircraft for that matter?
Hi Oneoutsider,
most of the people who designed the bus, didn't even fly it.
I'm 22, haven't flown the bus yet, though I've been studying it since 2006. My knowledge is purely theoretical, and it's hard at times to figure out how things really are; nevertheless, as we're all discussing theory in here, every post should have references to official documents not to personal experience ...

Best,
fredgrav

Last edited by fredgrav; 25th Apr 2010 at 21:03.