PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First Flight - New Production Series 400 Twin Otter
Old 25th Apr 2010, 18:11
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear Groundling...

You would be surprised how much real affection you can hold for the Twotter. I started out as a Flight Instructor and then the first "real" job I had was as an FO on a Twotter for a start-up regional in the States. On the back of that I had a series of jobs where I would get bucked off into a thorn patch trying to get onto jets and end up with unasked-for Twotter flying saving my bacon repeatedly.

In fact, one guy who didn't treat the Twotter with the respect it deserved ended up with it reaching around and biting him severely, when I got yet another summons to do a spell of Twottering that led to my finally getting, yes, that jet job!

Treat the Twotter with the respect it deserves and it will at least repay you with loyal service; with a bit of luck it will also help along your career.

I just did two years in the Sahara on Twotters, operating off 800-metre gypsum strips out in the middle of nowhere when that was the best machine for the job, I think.

If you really want to get noticed, as here, just diss the Twotter and the people who fly or have flown it and then stand by for "Incoming!" If you knew anything about it then you probably would hold it in the same regard pretty much everyone else here does. To denigrate it makes one come across pretty much as a "troll," yes, just like all those guys with as close to zero hours as makes no difference who say that Airbus rules and Boeing is crap or vice-versa.

Why should you want to come across as a jerk, though? Might it not be better to either find something nice to say about this well-liked aircraft or else start your own thread where you can tell us how the Caravan is the perfect aircraft for beginner bush pilots, as it does seem to be? Why pee on the campfire?

I have a few hours in the Caravan and I wouldn't mind a job flying one but it seems to be nowhere near as rugged as a Twotter, plus I am kind of old-fashioned so that I still think two donkeys are better than one! Too, the way you climb into a Twotter, just grabbing any old thing (except that goddam glare shield!), you try that on a Caravan you probably will end up with something coming off in your hand! Just my idea there...