PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unlocking mobile phones.
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2010, 12:02
call100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jofm5
I fail to see your point call100 ???

So you have just basically re-said what I did about how handsets are financed.

So yes of course the provider will be tying you into a contract of xxx for yyy.

And is it wrong for the provider to tie the phone down - no its not. The point you most eloquently missed is the fact the handset needs to be paid for - if you think its going to be done by contract value then I am afraid your wrong.

Your network whichever your on needs to recoup the loss of providing you the device you use or indeed sold on. Our tarrifs reflect this and its why ppl say mobile calls are a rip off.

congrats on your example - your just another that has kept our tarrifs high
I don't think I miss any point. Where was the phone not paid for? Where did Orange lose out on the phone cost?
You seem to be lost in this.......If you sell it on you still pay for it!!!!!!!!
If I get a phone on contract, then do whatever I like with it, I still pay the monthly payment for the length of the contract. The phone company gets the full payment.
How do I keep tariffs high? I have a contract that has been running for a few years now. I have paid for all my phones. The provider phones me up and offers me another phone toward the end of the contract. If I accept I sign up for another contract......Phone paid for whatever I do with it. If you stopped making assumptions and did a bit of thinking you might get the idea.
The tariffs are high at the moment because of the 'Cross network termination charge' rip off, not the cost of handsets. The lowering of tariffs will make the competition greater and the deals will get better to entice you to stay or move to other providers. The raising of handset prices and the end to offers for contracts was a scare tactic by the phone companies. They said the same in 2007 when roaming charges were cut...Prices actually went down...

Last edited by call100; 25th Apr 2010 at 12:19.