PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unlocking mobile phones.
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2010, 03:48
call100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jofm5
PPrune Pop,

You wont need a PAC code unless you want to port your number to a different network - at that point the PAC is used to verify that the customer has consented to the move - i.e. you quote that as authorisation for the move.

I dont for a second think you were looking for sympathy and yes the mobile tariffs are under review with ofcom. However whilst the locking of phones may seem to annoy people it is only ever done to protect the return of investment of the mobile provider.

A simple way to look at this is had you gone to a store and bought an unlocked blackberry then you would have paid the full market value which I would imagine is considerably more than what you were willing to pay.

It all has to get paid for somewhere - so the person who got the free upgrade and sold the phone on to you has a few quid in their pocket now and you now have a new phone - that phone still has to be paid for and the only reliable way will be via the tariffs.

If and when ofcom etc say that the tariffs are too expensive and legislate it down then you can kiss the opportunity to get a "free" phone goodbye and everyone will have to purchase the hardware.

I do appreciate that you were trying to warn others off from a scam - but my point is more that if you to play the game and try get something for nothing dont be surprised if those people your playing with are doing the same.
You pay a high tariff on your contract because you have chosen to purchase your phone on the never never (Your choice of purchase). It's nothing to do with other people buying phones and unlocking them. Many phones are unlocked after they have finished contract. Many phones are not locked to the provider even on contract. I've never found a Samsung phone locked. If you buy a phone and use a PAYG sim the provider makes money. O2 will even unlock your phone for free...But, you still pay your contract.
He paid the 'market price' for the phone in an online auction which is a legitamate way to buy one. I think he said it was a 'Satisfactory deal', no mention of the exact price.
He even paid for the programme to unlock it.........Hardly getting or even trying to get something for nothing....If the person who sold it had got an upgrade and passed it on. They would still be paying their contract. Upgrade is a method of keeping you as a customer...Along with it comes a new contract!! They don't give you one and then let you leave..I've sold phones from an upgrade as I was happy with the phone I had. The company didn't care as long as I was paying the contract. Now the choice is to keep the phone and get a sim only deal, go PAYG or have an upgrade and keep the contract.