PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 24th Apr 2010, 23:45
M.Mouse

Controversial, moi?

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I am reading the PPRuNe posts and feel you are anti Union crew/pilots BA employees and whilst I am anti-strike I feel very strongly about our fellow colleagues, they really believe in BASSA and are truly committed.
I am sure that all but the most unfeeling would feel a degree of sympathy for the CC feeling out on a limb but they have been led by the nose by those they elected to represent them. How anybody can be truly committed to BASSA after the fiasco which started early last year is beyond me.

Reading this forum many of you are not cabin crew and have very strong views about cabin crew/BASSA members.
Correct but the asinine behaviour of BASSA and the CC members without the intelligence or will to ascertain and analyse a few facts for themselves has made many, many other BA employees angry beyond belief. Those of us who have had to suffer the effects of arcane CC agreements which BASSA have protected at all costs are probably the angriest of the lot and, reluctantly, I have to admit a sense of gratitude that someone has finally had the balls to face down BASSA.

I would suggest that most of you are also in a union and whilst you have settled with WW now, next year he will be back and will hold you to ransom (ST) in the same way, we are on a rollercoaster with WW, by the way yes I am backing him but his tactics mean that- WE - that is all BA employees when we feel we want to say NO will have the same treatment. Taking away ST is not good for anyone of us and we should all make ourselves heard and NOT condone his actions.
I have to agree with you. How did we get here? By reasoned and logical negotiation or by 1970's intransigence defending the indefensible when the commercial imperative is plain to all except those who do not wish to see? The outcome of WW having won this battle and BASSA being beaten and being SEEN to be beaten has made negotiation by any other group that much more difficult. The threat of losing ST is a big stick which many will fear.

I learnt a long time ago to only start a fight when I figured I had a better than even chance of winning. It is plain that BASSA have backed themselves into a corner and have absolutely no idea how to proceed. Members clamouring for information and about all the communication that they have received recently is some bleating reference about how difficult it is to carry out BASSA duties when the reps. are not being de-rostered. What about the reps. currently suspended? What about telephones and...er... e-mail and the use of CC internet forums? Skype for a conference calls?

The next BASSA elections should prove interesting and if the current bunch of incompetents are re-elected then what little sympathy I presently have for CC BASSA members will evaporate.