PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Condolences' are not suitable fare for public display
Old 18th Jul 2002, 20:07
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I suspect Capt wafoo is an (ex) navy pilot???
Because of his nom d'plume. If that is the case I believe I can see where he is coming from. Being ex mil, we tend(ed) to adopt a more casual approach to colleagues when they died doing what they loved best - flying. When you die doing what you enjoy, is there a better way to go? I know you might not have wanted to go then, but that's the chance you take when you get airborne in one of these machines. It comes with the territory!
We used black humour to get us by thus protecting us from the sadness of it all. We never 'gushed' about our feelings for a lost one, it was just fate...ce la vie. Lets all have a drink on his/her expense account. Thats' the way they would have wanted it.
So on reading the first statement on this subject I tended to agree with CW, then changed my mind when Squiffey spoke then changed again later....
I do believe, on the one hand it's just tough luck when you snuff it, but on the other for those outside the profession who may 'drop in', it can be seen as comforting. As long as either side don't question the other, thats the main thing....