PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First Flight - New Production Series 400 Twin Otter
Old 24th Apr 2010, 14:18
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many are called...

Is this the same Cave Troll who shows up elsewhere with the designation "Ground School"? Perhaps we can write him off as knowing very, very little about anything to do with the sort of work a Twotter does! Now he is less ignorant but there must be plenty more where that came from to take such a stance toward this wonderful machine.

I am slightly biased, having cut my teeth on the DHC-3 as a mechanic, before I became a pilot. Ahh, DeHavilland!

I was with a certain British operator flying Twotters when a Brit joined us to fly our King Air 200. In his simple mind his 250-knot airplane gave him such massive cred compared to my 166-knot airplane that he could be ever so condescending. Well, aside from being a Brit with a Brit ATPL where I only had an FAA ATP, which everyone knows is ever so easy to get! Derr...

Of course I didn't bother to point out to the poor simpleton that I did have a rating on the Citation or that I had just been tooling around in a Cessna 441 with souped-up engines that would do 295 knots and leave a King Air for dead but just left him basking in his warm pool of pee.

As things developed the Company asked me to check out in the King Air, when to his surprise I could actually cope with the challenge of its blinding speed, yawn... Then the fun really started when I checked out on the Dornier 328 and ended up with Mr King Air Pilot in the RHS! Second place to a Twotter pilot! He just about lost his mind over that one, the muppet.

The fact is that you can take a lot of people and put them in a King Air or a Cessna Citation, even, with absolutely no problem at all but they might not be able to master a Twotter and its quirky ways, demanding certain stick-and-rudder skills as it does. It is "horses for courses" when to operate into or out of a short strip on a blazing hot day in a fully-loaded Twotter, that might look simple but in reality you still have to hit the numbers just right, same as operating an airliner.

It is very much like the stupid idea many airplane drivers have that flying helicopters is somehow much less demanding, to think that because a Twotter is slow and has fixed gear, that must make it easy to operate. Once you have mastered it then you can make it look easy but it can eat some newbie's lunch! We even had a retired Air Farce T-39 pilot manage to drag a wingtip on a Twotter when it got away from him. Oops.