PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - P2F Cancer of Aviation (merged)/ petitions.
Old 24th Apr 2010, 04:33
beamer

Received 68 Likes on 26 Posts

Couple of questions:

How much flying experience do you have ?

Have you ever undertaken any selection tests to assess your potential to be a professional pilot - ie RAF/RN/OATS etc. I ask this latter question simply because there are any number of organisations out there that will take an individuals money until the cows come home without ever telling them that they do not have the aptitude to continue with their aspirations.

Microburst's previous post summed up things pretty well. I have been flying for 35 years and for all but the first two have been paid to do so. It seems to me that the problem with career development in the UK at least, is that some, repeat some, young pilots are led to believe that a frozen ATPL gives an automatic right to the rhs of a medium size jet aircraft. Some new recruits show enormous potential which when added to experience, which cannot be brought off the shelf, evolve into very competent operators. Sadly, others would have gained much needed clarity regarding their capabilities by going down the air-taxi, freight turboprop route.