PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GPS for G.A. pilots
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2010, 04:07
rjtjrt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WannaBeBiggles
I've got a 296 and an AV8OR (not the ACE).
I prefer the 296.
Tha AV8OR has a less detailed topo map (296 is pretty basic anyway), and no HSI/6-pack instrument page. It is a faster and more sensitive GPS receiver that the Garmin (ie picks up satellites in more difficult position in aircraft but Garmin seem to be quite adequate in this respect).
AV8OR doesn't have a partial compass rose with pointer to the next waypoint (296 does and I like this).
Advantage of AV8OR is it can display traffic if you have a Zaon XRX (296 can't but Garmin 495 can).
I've not seen an Aera 510 but it is a lot of bang for the buck. Aera 500 has had a few negative reports (from memory saw one on Piper pilot forum). As I understand it it has a poor battery time, and is harder to use to get to functions such as direct to, etc as have to go back from current screen to menu to access such functions (296/495 have buttons on surface immediately and constantly available, aera 500 has touch screen so must call up buttons).
I intend to sell my AV8OR as I like the Garmin (maybe you just like the one you started on, much like the Cessna/Piper debate).
Hope this helps. There is no right answer.

John

Last edited by rjtjrt; 24th Apr 2010 at 23:04. Reason: Spelling/correction of aera 510 to 500