PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Time taken for final ATSB reports
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2010, 03:39
muffman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Time taken for final ATSB reports

Does it really need to take so long to produce final accident investigation reports for GA accidents?

After recently flicking through the ATSB website, I note there are preliminary reports dating back to accidents in 2007 and 08. Presumably, the final report is still being written. These are not complex accidents involving transport category aeroplanes with mountains of data to analyse. They are often GA aeroplanes ploughing into the ground with little available evidence.

I realise they have limited resources and need to direct them where the greatest safety benefit can be achieved. But I think we need to weigh up the benefit of providing a more detailed report, which may take years to produce, against the possibility of a less detailed report provided in a timely fashion so that it can be used to improve safety.

People cop a lot of criticism on here for the speculation that surrounds accidents. I think if the other option means waiting two years for the final investigation report, speculate away.

At least try to learn something from it.