PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2010, 00:35
broadreach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An apology to all and specially to MM43

For the last week I have been sending MM43 satellite positions of the "Anne Candies" and "Seabed Worker" as recorded by the Seasearcher AIS service.

MM43 has been laboriously inserting those positions in the graphics he's posted of the accident site and the search pattern. Pprune is fortunate in having people like him, with experience spanning a wide range of disciplines, contributing their time and knowledge.

But, unfortunately, I've been sending him duff data. The Seasearcher positions are off by a degree in both Latitude and Longitude. It's not just the Anne Candies and Seabed Worker; other commercial vessels are a shown as one degree south and one west of their known positions. There's no difference between the data picked up by vhf AIS receivers and that from satellites, so it seems likely to be a glitch in the programming at the Seasearcher end, and I'll be consulting with that team on Monday. In the meantime, continuing to send MM43 the data as received.

So, apologies to all and may that be a lesson to me in over-reliance on a technology that I could easily have checked beforehand! And, someday, it would be an honour to raise a toast to MM43 personally.