PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-76 down in the North Sea (Threads merged)
Old 18th Jul 2002, 17:39
Hoverman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
semirigid rotor
The pilot of the Sea King who got to the scene half an hour after the accident described the visibility as good. SAR pilots in that area spend most of their time flying over the sea. He wasn't some passing tourist desibing visibility. He also thought, rightly or wrongly, that the little evidence available pointed to a catastrophic mechanical failure.
Please don't take offence, but I can't understand how you can say we shouldn't discuss possible causes AND then be the first person on this thread to suggest possible pilot error, throwing in you're "sceptical about major mechanical failure"!
We all know it's just theory until we know more from the AAIB investigation but I doubt if there's many crewrooms where pilots haven't discussed this tragedy, their theories, experience offshore flying, the S76 etc. That's what happened in ours.
Did you follow the threads after the PaveHawk crash? No accident report yet, but the quality of discussion was outstanding and some of the posts were nothing short of brilliant.
I don't think anyone needs reminding to "spare a thought for those directly or indirectly involved." Just look at all the messages that have been posted. We're a small community and we all know 'There but for the grace of God' we could all go.
'Talking' to each other on Rotorheads is just like talking to each other in the crewroom. It's just unrealistic to expect pilots not to exchange ideas, give opinions. It's natural, and it's not disrespectful of the dead.