PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - P2F Cancer of Aviation (merged)/ petitions.
Old 23rd Apr 2010, 18:47
767200ER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aviation is not the only industry that has seen this erosion, like i said before.
However you may say being 20 i have seen nothing of the world and whetever else you like, i am not naive, i am just a realist. I don't want to sit for 5 years cursing those who are in the very position i want to be in. Flexibility and adaptability in life will save you a lot of frustration. I have not lived a sheltered life by any stretch of the imagination, don't let my biological age formulate your oppinion and tempt you into patronising me, it would be foolhardy. I have studied a number of subjects in this industry at university level which is more than a lot of people joining an airline have be it LHS or RHS.

I will give you an example of industry shift, the bucket and spade holiday industry? the low cost airline market changed the way people booked holidays, instead of a complete package with one company, people separated: flights and accomodation to travel and stay cheaper. Hailing the end of XL airways. They didn't change to scheduled service and their market was drying up.

EOS, Silverjet, examples of two Business class only premium service airlines, the recession started, business budgets were clawed back. These airlines couldn't adapt their models, and so, sadly, went bust. Nothing to do with p2f eroding their conditions or crashing their aeroplanes.

There is a reason low cost airlines remain succesful even in the worst of times and its their low cost base, which means not forking out 28K+ for each new pilot they take on, not knowing whether they are actually capable of completing the course or not. So they forward the financial risk onto the applicant. It keeps their costs down and allows them a more secure financial position and thus the existance of the very airline is more certain.
That is what accountants are after, that is what management are after. Because at the end of the day, if the airline is out of business, so are they.
Look at Westjet, they don't ask for their FO's to pay for a type rating, because they want you to have experience on type, the end result is the same, they don't have to invest in you for training. Which means the financial risk is removed. The same is true for virgin blue, and the same is true of GOL, all LCC's all flying the 737-800.

Wingo Wango, i am, then, every airlines wet dream because i am willing to adapt to whatever the situation that means we can all wake up tomorrow knowing we will still have a job to go to.