PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vickers Varsity
Thread: Vickers Varsity
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2010, 18:08
KipperMac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember it well <gGg>

Ramshornvortex I was a young urk (know as Kipper) serving at Rissie (1970-1976) at the time and was present for both the events that you mention. I actually watched the first happen and was having a sandwich in the crew room when the second event took place. Sad times for the A/C's but as was said, no one was hurt.
I served at Rissie untill the fat lady sang and they put the lights out.
I didn't know it at the time but they were the best days of my life.
I was totaly crushed when they closed the camp. As a young urk, it never crossed my mind that such a thing would ever happen.
I am at the other end of life now and much wiser.
The Jetstream's had just been grounded for the reason Herod mentions. Astazu engines had a vibration problem and it was found that this caused a fuel valve to close in the center section of the wings. The Jetstream A/C was returning to base after the grounding message.
Murphy's law again.
The Varsity was another story.
We knew the A/C as the Flying Pig. It looked like one from certain angles and on touch down, the brakes squealed like one. I loved the sound of those Hercules especially when just starting up.
I went on to serve at R.A.F. Lyneham for three years and then left the service. I would be glad to hear from anyone who knew me in those times.
Sorry for any typos but my eyes are sadly giving up on me these days.
Kind reguards to all.