PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Linux Corner
Thread: Linux Corner
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2010, 16:38
rans6andrew

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
help!

I bought all of the bits n bobs to put together a new PC, chucked them together and got it up and running with Ubuntu live cd. Sort of OK but quite limiting as you can't save any settings or install any drivers. So I made a "ubuntu boot" memory stick which would not actually boot the machine into a stable state. The memory stick works just fine on my laptop, it allows firefox bookmarks and files to be saved, remembers options and setup etc.

If anyone knows why this might be I am interested but only as a secondary option.

So, I installed Ubuntu on the first hard disc and got it up and running, apparently stable although I can't actually set anything up to leave it doing something. I ran the memory test from the Ubuntu startup screen and it chugged all of the way through the mmemory with no errors. Then I enabled the networks and wireless driver (all point and click stuff) and got it to connect to our wireless router and the WWW and started to surf and find that it crashes, often, and re-boots and then offers to send an error log to somewhere.

The error appears to related to a file called ooops. Is there anything in the error log, if I can find it, which will help me to find out why the crashes happen?

I have a copy of which XP I could install but am reluctant to do this if there is a hardware fault on the system.

What would be a sensible thing to try next?

Rans6...