PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2010, 14:16
ExecClubPax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MissM

I suspect those cabin crew that took strike action did so in the full knowledge their pay and allowances for strikes dates would be withheld. By going on strike, they effectively accepted this loss as the price for their militancy/moral stand what ever you choose to call it.

Similarly, they knew that staff travel concessions were in jeopardy if they withheld their labour. That was flagged up clearly both in writing and verbally well before the first strike date. In effect, cabin crew who went on strike voted for loss of their concessions. This is not punishment, it's a self inflicted loss.

Now, I suspect most thought that like on previous occasions, BA would reinstate them as part of a negotiated settlement. If Mr Walsh is to be believed, that won't happen this time around. Consequently, I can understand the shock the failed gamble has created among your striking colleagues.

Who knows whether BASSA membership will vote for or against the current proposals where there is no prospect of reinstatement of staff travel or cessation of disciplinary action. If they vote yes then the status quo remains. If they vote no, BA will continue training volunteer cabin crew, the militant BASSA membership will be allowed to wither on the vine and Mr Walsh is gifted a heaven sent opportunity to "clear out the Augean Stables" once and for all.

Who would have thought a man of his statue could take on the role of Heracles (Hercules). Funny old world, as someone once said.

Last edited by ExecClubPax; 23rd Apr 2010 at 14:34.