PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - P2F Cancer of Aviation (merged)/ petitions.
Old 23rd Apr 2010, 11:00
Microburst2002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I recall correctly, any activity for which a company of any kind is getting revenue, must be specified. For instance, a shoe making company cannot just start selling hollidays in Cancun without first calling the lawyers to include that activity in the list.

I think that training for money is an activity that is not included in most airlines. And I think it could be just forbidden for any airline to do such activity, and considered incompatible.

If a pilot seats in the right seat of an airline airplane, to have training, then he or she must be a pilot hired to do a job, and paid as such, as any other pilot in the airline. Bonded, if you like, but getting paid. The training costs must be on the airline.
Of course, the airline could hire only type rated low houred pilots who got their TR in an associated TRTO (this is another story that should be banned, too). But the line training cannot (should not) be sold as a product. It can only be a cost.

767200ERThere is an inherent incompatibility between selection (of the best workers) and PTW (pay to work).
Two of the best captains I have ever flown with came from cadet programs (in major european airlines). They started flying boeings with only 200 hours in piston engines. They are very talented, have very good academic background, and are very skilfull, intelligent men. They had a very good training, and they are the kind of captains that any airline would like to have, those who have a good "pilot judgement", extremely safe and efficient. Any copilot flying with them becomes a better pilot, and is a part of a great crew.
They were selected among many candidates. They were the best raw materials their airlines could find to make good pilots.

Now, how can you compare that with the guy who just has the money, and the airline that justs wants to take that money?

If an airline wants to hire 3 pilots of whatever airplane, they would receive5,000 CVs. They can make selection and then make them pay for the TR in one way or another. There is really no need to make pilots pay for line training, too and then dump them to make room for the next pilot. This is clearly making money at the expense of safety. They can have the best pilots for very little cost! But they are soooooooo greedy! this situation is out of balance.

Last edited by Microburst2002; 23rd Apr 2010 at 11:01. Reason: typo