PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2011 recruitment
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2010, 10:58
Callsign Kilo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
767200ER

Appreciating the rest of your post, this is the main variable, i know a guy based in EDI, made 64K in his first year, longer sectors means more hours and therefore more money per sector. Being based somewhere like STN, some sectors are only 35minutes flying time. and so earnings would be lower.
I'm not having a go, really. However the system is pretty simple and in this case the simplicity completely exposes the reality. The 'guy you know at EDI' either has a supplementary income external to BRK/RYR or alternatively he is telling a few fibs! When it comes to 'take home,' the latter is pretty common amongst a few pilots here - you will find out soon enough!!

His first year would be accounted for a long these lines. This is based on 900hrs, which unfortunately no FO that I have met in the last 3 years has ever achieved. Again, i'm not the one for pissing on anyones parade; however i do feel new fellas like yourself need to sense a bit or reality before coming here. Neither 64K or 60K will be achievable as a FO. I'm sorry mate, but there it is.

In his first year we will put the guy you know at EDI down for 100hrs at the line training rate. Might be E35 (not sure). So that's E3500.
Another 500 hrs (@55.5) = E27750 before tax, NI etc
Remaining 300 hrs (@75.5) at the higher rate = E22650

TOTAL = E53900. (Thats before the 3%+vat deduction as well)

Sector time has little to do with it. If sectors are more lengthy, you end up doing more standbys and less sectors. Rostering will issue sectors across your base by calculating the average monthly entitlement of hours per FO. The variables will be capacity, seasonal changes, number of crew per aircraft, training, annual leave and sickness, floating crews etc. This can and will alter the average entitlement of hours month by month. Hence your realisation that income will vary month by month. It has nothing to do with sector times; if anything it is more to do with luck. This is why the figure of 600-750hrs per year for FOs in the company has been touted. It is base dependant and each base will operate month by month with the variables i have just mentioned. Unfortunately EDI presently appears to be one of the quieter bases for FOs. This may improve or decline in the future; however guys that I know there all have the same problem. They would like to be busier.

I am just instilling a bit of honesty. There is little point in deceiving. Like I say, it's a good place to be; but you need to be realistic about it. People mouthing of that they earned 64K in their first year of an FO just add to the frustration of those who build up an expectancy yet who inevitably end up achieving something else entirely.

Above all, best of luck.