PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Overhead Join in UK please!!
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 22:36
Jofm5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IO540

I don't know the legality of disregarding instructions at a Class G airfield (I thought that if it has an ATZ and ATC then the ATCO can issue orders within the ATZ) but unfortunately the OHJ has been brought into some disrepute by a number of A/Gs or FISOs who overly enjoy their perceived power and order arriving pilots to use the OHJ even when there is zero traffic, and (upon query) the man admits he has no known traffic
Before you shoot me down in flames, I am a ppl student of 8hrs half of which were done at panshanger (unfortunately the work situation dictates I have to put that on hold).

However, my observations from my time around the place is that the radio is not permanently manned as its usually done by instructors that are around the club house at the time (rightfully or wrongfully - I dont know enough yet to judge).

However I would put forward that if whoever spoke to you on the radio could not guarantee there was no traffic in the circuit then the correct thing to do is ask for an ohj so that you can assess the traffic situation yourself.

In my limited knowledge an OHJ is the safest way to join the circuit when the traffic situation is unknown, I concede there are AIP's for different aerodromes where join procedures are different and multiple circuits operate (hopefully we all think ahead and research that before going there).

Would be interested in your views as am still on the learning curve here.