PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - COVENTRY
Thread: COVENTRY
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 20:24
WindSwept

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leofric You also seem to think Warwick District council are now the problem because they are the planning authority. Please explain that one for me. As far as I know, the airport has no current planning applications, so i fail to see the relevance.
Warwick district council are a big problem with the airport. Just because it hasn't got any current planning applications in, does not mean they don't play a huge part in it.

They were a big part of the reason the first deal fell through and i would suspect a large part of the reason why Sir P is taking so long to make his mind up. He is clearly very passionate about getting involved even if it means sacrificing some of his buisness sense to just walk away. The Swiss firm had plenty of money and were willing to use it on Coventry and accept a loss for several years, their beef was that they couldn't do anything with the airport, they were told time and again any planning there would be rejected and they would have to spend millions trying to appeal it. They, with their buisness head on, most likely decided it wasn't worth the time, effort, or money to continue with negotiations with people who wern't going to make life easy for them, so they went elsewhere to spend their money.

Sir P faces the same problem. As was said, coventry needs someone who's willing to lose a couple of million on it to get it up and going again and be prepared to be in it for the long haul. Now no person with money (the buisnessmen/women) are going to invest those millions of pounds if they can't get any return or do anything with their investment. Sir P wants to build things, he wants to develop things and do stuff like any decent buisnessmen. If he can't get some gurantees that he can do something with the airport then he would be just throwing his money down a toilet.

So yes i think Warwks do have alot to answer for. It may not be the only issues, but its certinally been one in the past and likely to still be one now.