PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cargolux details requested!
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 18:24
DHC6to8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is all very interesting

This is all very interesting and I really appreciate the fact that Xavier has helped clear some air out.... I just want to pitch my own two cents in... I did the selection back in 2006 and I liked what was being offered and the fellows I met seemed to be a good bunch... I actually thought this could be for me and it was offered to me... then, while in the hotel I took a good long hard look at two former colleagues that had gone to CargoLux earlier and I was shocked at what I saw... we are all the same age and about the same physical size... here we were sitting and having a beer and it looked like I was sitting with two old men, one looked half dead and the other looked like a cancer victim.... I saw the paystubs, heard the stories both good and bad... and the one common denominator was that they both felt tired all the time.... and suffered health problems.... I decided after that meeting that I would like to live a little longer, be home for Christmas and watch my three children grow up.... so I said no to the offer and went back home.... sure, it would have been nice to fly the whale... see a little more of the world perhaps.... but being tired and looking like I am half dead did not appeal to me enough to go and earn a couple of Euros more per month... the pay increase just did not outweight my desire to have a life at home with my family and perhaps live longer... people forget that flying the long haul exposes you to higher levels of radiation, longer times of exposure to climaticized dry air etc etc and the crossing of numerous time zones all add up to a posibly reduced life span.... not to mention the empty bed at home sydrome that can infiltrate marriages... the one friend having the beer ended up divorced because his wife couldn't take it any longer... she wanted somebody at home more than what the CargoLux schedule would allow. So, all this boils down to the fact that this life style is not for everybody.... perhaps for some years while you are young and not married... so if it works for you, enjoy it.... I envy those who can make it work.... but, on the other hand, I have a great life that works well with my great job....
fly safe no matter where you are...
6to8