PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glass Cockpits
Thread: Glass Cockpits
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 14:30
Choxolate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glass Cockpits

.. or should I say computerised instrumant display panels and engine monitoring systems.

No doubt I should have used the search function and will end up being harangued but technology moves on and old posts may no longer be relevant, so forgive me.

I have a permit aircraft powered by a Rotax 914 and the usual bank of analogue gauges, dials and vacuum driven flight instruments. All this lot (including the vacuum pump) probably weigh in at about 20-30lbs and are not exactly the most accurate or eays to read bits of kit invented.

I am thinking of ripping them all out and replacing with a glass display. The Dynon FlightDEK D-180 seems to fulfil most of my needs and is reasonably priced with all the sensors, wiring and other bits and bobs required for the Rotax 914. I have a SkyMap IIIC GPS which I would still use that apparaently can be interfaced to the Dynon for some of the more esoteric functions.

Has anyone have any experience here of using the Dynon D180 - particularly interested in readability, reliability and accuracy, even better if this has been gained with a Rotax 912 or 914. The optional AoA pitot also seems like a useful device

Any tips on difficulty / ease of installation would be useful.

The panel itself is not a problem as I have an easily removable carbon fibre sub panel that I can replace with new, that contains most of the stuff I will replace with the Dynon.

Your shared experience, do's dont's etc would be most welcome.