PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAR PPL(A) Theory Exams in UK when living abroad
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 12:37
S-Works

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it really the case that the exams taken in UK can not be coupled together with flight training abroad such as that in Spain , to get a JAR PPL ? Following the practical training and exam completion would I apply for the JAR licence in UK, Spain or the country in which I live (Switzerland) ?
If you do the UK PPL exams then you will need to do the flight training with a UK RTF/FTO either in the UK or at an overseas CAA approved school. Once the training is complete and the test taken the UK CAA will issue the licence. Once you have the licence then you can transfer it if you really wanted to, to another JAA member state. However if you hold a JAR FCL licence then in accordance with JAR FCL1.015 you can exercise the privileges in any JAA Member state. Of course there are other states that may be cheaper and in the future a bit of regulatory shopping might be worthwhile.

This will only cost you an admin fee.
The admin fee is the full initial issue fee......

The PPL exams are not JAA Exams they are national exams that are accepted to towards the issue of a JAR FCL compliant licence. Each state have their own PPL exams. There may be some countries as IO540 points out that share papers, but that is a local agreement rather than a JAA standard.

You can't take the PPL exams at Gatwick. We hold 3 sets of each paper and if you fail all three then you have to go to a special session at Gatwick. This is the only time it happens and I don't recall ever hearing that it happened. You would also not want to be involved with Gatwick as I suspect the fees would be somewhat eye watering!!

There are many examiners who will do the exams without being attached to a club. As I said I hold the exams and am happy to help.