PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The scandal of travel insurance
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 11:03
FlyingOfficerKite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do read the 'small print'.

However, the issue is when people are stranded as they have been during the past week, have travelled on a recognised airline and have taken out travel insurance they do not expect to be stranded overseas and left to their own devices.

Maybe it is time the insurance industry was overhauled - even if that meant that travellers understood where they are with the insurance. High premiums - you get home. Low premiums you take a risk.

At the moment it seems people are angry that they do not have the facility, through airlines, travel companies or insurance companies to return back to their destination without it being at their own expense.

In so far as the question of 'reasonable' claims is concerned, I fully appreciate the comments made above regarding fraud.

However, in my case, all I claimed for was some items of clothing and perfume that had been stolen from my wife's suitcase at Puerto Plata. I did not think it reasonable to expect to have receipts for clothes and prefume that were presents and therefore for which we could not possibly have proof of purchase.

KR

FOK