PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ash clouds threaten air traffic
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 10:35
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have listen to the ATC for Kestrel 952P yesterday. He reported conditions as " Serious CAVOK "despite having a serious smell of burning ash up to FL240" in " multiple layers " somewhat debunking the myth that one can maintain a visual watch. I did not garner at what level he first encountered the ash. This incident was recorded when the Ash would have been more widely dispersed than during the shutdown ( 24 hours after open ) so those who insist that the presense of ash was in fact the brainchild of a computer " gone mad " might take note. It is worthy of mention that they only had bleed problems and were concerned about pressurization with no major incident despite the RTB
Paidworker

None of the above is normal or standard RT Phraseology. You do not talk about "serious" CAVOK! You may talk about a serious smell of burning but unless the pilot was familiar with the smell of ash which is unlikely a smell of burning could come from another source within the aircraft. In all probability a serious smell of burning would require an immediate landing as it would be a potential emergency situation and nothing to do with whats outside the aircraft.

The pilot using the word serious attached to both sounds more like a windup a joke which does happen in the airways.

On a slightly different note smells in an aircraft can come from the ground. I can remember flying a twin prop in IMC over a biscuit factory. The delicious smell of biscuits was almost a locator of where we were as I flew that route many times

It is also worth considering that in any heightened and cautious state the mind plays tricks. fly a single over long stretches of water and its amazing how rough your engine suddenly appears to be.

Pace