PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Williamtown Class E Stuff-Up?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 10:15
Capn Bloggs

Rubbish? Let's examine the facts, shall we (Paying attention, Ledsled?)?

had the jet in site at all times and stated to the ATSB that there was never any chance of a collision.
Not only was he confused about what was going on:

While the radio transmissions from the crew of the 737 may have assisted the Tobago pilotís situational awareness, it was also influenced by his sighting of the aircraft, his belief that there was 2 degrees difference between the aircraft tracks and his belief that the 737 was tracking direct to right base for runway 32L. Although the pilot had the 737 in sight and was initially of the opinion that it would pass with sufficient spacing to the right of his aircraft, he became concerned when the 737 appeared to turn to the right across his path.

The investigation could not conclusively determine why the 737 appeared to make such a heading change. Although the pilot of the Tobago has a clear recollection of a significant right turn having been made by the 737, the FDR data at Appendix A shows the 737ís consistent and straight track over the ground. The minor heading change was possibly due to wind effect. The head-on aspect of the two aircraft may have given the illusion of a more significant heading alteration having been made.
he didn't talk:

After the Tobago pilot heard the crew of the 737 report the TCAS RA event to ATC, he advised ATC that his was the aircraft involved and that he had been operating in accordance with NAS procedures. The controller advised him that he should maintain a listening watch on the relevant ATC frequency and announce himself to traffic that he may be in conflict with.

The pilot advised that he:
"thought that I wasnít supposed to speak on the frequency now."

Educational material associated with the NAS phase 2b implementation stated that an:

"important change is that the pilot of a VFR flight should not make broadcasts on ATC frequencies."

"Please do not make broadcast transmissions or engage in chatter on an ATC
frequency. The safety of others depends on you not doing this.

Pilots are not precluded from responding to any ATC or pilot transmission when they believe their safety is at risk from another aircraft."
So here we have a lighty pilot, who went so close to a jet that it set off a TCAS RA, telling you there was never any chance of a collision, and because of your repeated assertions over the years (which you got put into the NAS training material - or was it the other Smith?) that they are not to announce and he thought it'd be OK.

So my life, the lives of my crew and my more than 100 pax are in the hands of a VFR pilot. Thanks a lot. E airspace. You have to love it.

The only reason the TCAS RA recorded was because NAS 2b introduced mandatory transponders for the first time for all VFR aircraft in the airspace above Launceston.
Read the warning signs, Dick. The TCAS RAs are telling us something; it's just that YOU are so blind that you will not see the light until a bingle happens. You'll then blame me and the other pilot for not looking out.