PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - P2F Cancer of Aviation (merged)/ petitions.
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 10:13
Doug the Head

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah, that's typically Norman: trowing more sand into the engine by endlessly debating the exact definitions of P2F vs P4T or BA vs CTC cadets etc.

Norman, as I've pointed out many times, your problem is that you don't look ahead and you don't see the big picture. Facts are now, but in order to try to look into the future you need to look beyond the facts. Although of course it's nice to have one's facts straight, Global Warrior also trusts his/her emotions that this whole deal stinks and that something needs to be done about this issue. Why don't you help him instead of dragging the debate into eternity about the exact definitions about this and that?

Many airlines (incl. your beloved orange outfit) have tested the water and are working hard on replacing a big part of their regular unionized (!) workforce by low time contractors through various deals. In case you haven't figured it out yet, yes Norman, that also eventually includes replacing or undermining YOU: the senior training captain! Weren't you ready for industrial action a few weeks ago?

Just look at the recent ash cloud problems. Wouldn't it be any manager's wet dream if they wouldn't have to pay their contract (!) crews when the aircraft are parked due to a geological event? Couldn't that same advantage perhaps also be used during industrial action from the few remaining pilots who are not working for a contract agency? No more need for scabs/strikebreakers: airlines have their own scabs working for them through contract agencies. Or perhaps looking at the "low cost" benefit over the more established airlines and thus dragging down T&C's even further? "Low-cost" sounds nice when they offer you a job, but you realize that it eventually comes out of your pocket, don't you?

Again Norman, the writing is on the wall, the thin edge of the wedge in place and the dark (ash? ) cloud is clearly visible on the horizon, so you need to step on board in this all out effort to stop low time pilots from undermining T&C's, instead of moaning about details!

At the risk of repeating myself: the key issue is low timers undermining T&C's through various 'schemes' and this needs to be nipped in the bud a.s.a.p.! I recon all we need is a few more ash-clouds or another dip in the economy before we see the final push to get rid of the T&C's as we once knew them.

The key solution IMHO is to have one contract for one job, with perhaps the only exception in having different contracts for different countries in order to keep a level playing field when competing with locally based airlines. Writing MP's is a useless waste of time IMHO, these folks are just too busy helping their friends in The City or thinking of new ways to increase taxes and extending their political clout. Furthermore, I agree with Studi that it's completely beyond me how any self respecting union can allow different employees to work under different contracts in the same company. By only being able to offer one contract per base, the leverage will also stop whilst still providing job opportunities to low time pilots in a safe and responsible way. Once again, BALPA has been firmly asleep at the switch (incompetence? kickbacks? both?) and needs to way up rather soonish...

p.s. I see that you have very conveniently ignored Studi's excellent post! Bravo!
p.p.s. About being factually correct: sure, it's a noble effort, but again Norman, do you really think that airlines are always 100% factually correct when the scream doom and gloom when new regulation is introduced which affects their profit margins? Sadly, one needs to exaggerate to make one's voice heard in the media, or if you want to end up somewhere in the middle. Or do you always pay the asking price when you buy a different car or house?