PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 09:26
Chugalug2

Received 234 Likes on 72 Posts
engpil:
.....and on whether the Air Marshals and consequently the Ministers made a different kind of error in condemning the pilots.
Well, first may I welcome you and your excellent maiden post, engpil. I must regretfully however take issue with you over the quote above. The action taken by the "Air Marshals", by which I presume you mean the Messrs Wratton and Day, were calculated, deliberate and based on knowledge of the unprecedented RTS of an aircraft type into RAF service while suffering severe technical shortcomings that amounted to it being Grossly Unairworthy. That knowledge was seemingly not shared with the BoI charged to investigate the fatal accident of an aircraft of that type on the Mull of Kintyre in which 29 people died. That they then saw fit to construct a bogus case against the deceased pilots in order to find them Grossly Negligent may be seen in retrospect as an "error" but was at the time a calculated deliberate act that had the effect of obscuring the RTS "irregularities". Ministers of course do not make errors, they are merely badly advised!