PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS rears its head again
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 09:24
Capn Bloggs

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
Dick,

You have gotta be joking?!

Class C without radar is a sham as a VFR aircraft can transit the airspace without detection by ATC.
You reckon a VFR not complying with one of THE most basic rules of the sky, not to enter controlled airspace without a clearance, is a sham, but requiring me to look out of the window in the same location to avoid the same VFR in E isn't? Your arguments become more farcical as time goes on, Dick.

So here we are, in a bugsmasher, in the middle of Australia (very complex airspace there and at KTA/BME...not), and we inadvertently fly through the C steps. I find that very unlikely. Much much more unlikely than a "Free in GE" pilot would deliberately fly through non-radar E talking to no-one and scaring the willys out of me when he (hopefully) pops up on TCAS.

Fortunately I think most pilots, VFR included, are responsible enough not to transit through C without a clearance, radar or not. Perhaps it is only the "Free in GE" brigade who think that scooting thru procedural C would be the norm.

C never has required a radar. Think outside the square, you fundamentalist. Non-radar C, totally ICAO compliant, provides a very cost-effective (dare I say it, affordable safety) airspace regime that protects the fare-paying passenger.