PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ash clouds threaten air traffic
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 08:50
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Early posts on this thread appeared to establish that the far-travelling ash from that phase of this particular erruption was effectively transparent to both visible light and the radio frequencies used by weather radar. It did reflect, however, at some infra-red wavelengths. So despite the visually clear skies, the nasties were there and the Mk1 eyeball was unable to detect them. The first D-CALM flight reported this - also saying that it avoided flying into stuff that could be detected only by its special atmospheric research kit.
DairyGround

I read that too but it depends on how you interpretate it. We all saw the billowing dense black cloud spewing out from the source of the volcano.
Are the so called experts telling us that all those amazing pictures we saw were infact invisable to the naked eye because volcanic ash has some AMAZING property which defies the laws of Physics.

If so they should cover Stealth Bombers in the stuff

Any Particle liquid or solid will reflect light. We all see clouds we all see vapour trails made up of tiny ice crystals. we all see dust clouds.
Try landing in Saudi Like I did in 2000 metres dust Which after landing
turned into a sandstorm with 100 metres its all visible.

If we take the zero tolerance of volcanic ash theoretically one partical would make it illegal and of course we would not see one particle anymore than we are likly to see one wasp 100 metres away but we will see a swarm.

We in this country are victims of media hype you only have to see the terror inflicted on us as the so called experts predicted 65000 deaths from Mexican flu. People were paying £500 for a small pack of Tamiflu The government advised by experts bought up £2 billion of the stuff. result 346 deaths less than a normal flu and £2 billion of Tamiflu they cannot give away. We can all remember many such scares whipped up by the media and predicted by the science.

So yes Volcanic ash in reasonable density will be visible but dispersed to literally nil will not.The big question is whether literally nil will do damage

Pace