PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Williamtown Class E Stuff-Up?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 07:36
Capn Bloggs

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts
Dick,

Sorry I've been missing all day. Had to go flying and do battle with a VFR who wouldn't talk. Glad he had his transponder on, otherwise we would have gone close to clocking him (as it was we got a TA). Ever tried to pick up a lighty, headon, with a closing of probably 400kts? Just like it'll be in your fabled E airspace around Broome. VFR not on freq, unknown to anybody until the TCAS lights up. I didn't bother explaining the situation to the 108 punters in the back; they probably would have wanted your address. But I digress.

If you were an experienced IFR pilot, you would know that the Willy and Ballina scenarios are totally different.

At Ballina on taxi, we get IFR traffic info from ATC, and we also get traffic on VFRs in the area (if they are doing the right thing). From that, I decide on a plan that will keep me safe from the traffic which will also consider weather and terrain and agree it with the other aircraft. When I'm ready, off I go.

At Willy, arguably a much busier piece of sky, ATC tells me that a clearance will not be available. I wonder why? Because even with radar separation standards, they can't give me one, because the traffic is so close! I am not about to say "oh well stuff that, I'll be right and go VFR; Bloggs, if you level at 5000ft, I'll climb to 4000 until we've passed"! What about other IFR traffic that ATC hasn't told me about? What about the VFR traffic that might not on the freq (area or CTAF because he's not in "the vicinity", nor has any attempt to be made to check his transponder). I would stay on the ground, lined up, until a clearance became available.

So your comparison of Ballina and Willy is invalid.

It is ridiculous that you urge IFR pilots to just blast off and change to VFR because they can't get a clearance (or stay "VFR") without a full analysis of what traffic is around AND a broadcast to alert some poor IFR coming the other way that I'm potentially about to scare him. The fare-paying pax in the back did not pay for that. This is not the John Wayne era of ridem cowboy, this is 2010 and we actually have an obligation to ensure the safety of our pax using whatever reasonable means are available. IMO that does not include blasting off VFR into low-level E airspace!

These advantages can only be used if you use the airspace properly.
You're joking, aren't you? E only works because IFR aircraft have to take unnecessary risks to get through it.

Now if VFR in E was on freq with a verified transponder ie identified, things might be different. Then at least the A380 would know where the VFR was to be able to take avoiding action!

Last edited by Capn Bloggs; 22nd Apr 2010 at 07:53.