PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS rears its head again
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 06:07
Dick Smith

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts
squawk6969

It is a total waste of time answering the questions. I have said numerous times that experts have told me that Class C airspace IS safer than E if it is correctly manned and the proper tools are given to Air Traffic Controllers.

If the Class C is manned by an already overloaded Controller for the Class D airspace below, it is most likely that the safety of the total system will be reduced.

The experts tell me that is because the risk close to a runway is greater than in the link airspace further away from the runway.

The experts say to me – and it seems to fit in with commonsense – that if an Air Traffic Controller’s concentration is taken away from where the collision risk is greatest, that an accident is more likely to happen.

The experts tell me that the only reason the US has Class E over D is so safety can be improved because of the facts stated above.

When I mention what the experts have told me and what reflects airspace design in many other countries, I am told by a small number of Air Traffic Controllers in Australia that in their case, they can handle the Class C airspace – at huge volumes – as well as the Class D airspace without any extra manning (normally just one Controller) and without any reduction in safety.

Well, of course, they would say that (to use the Mandy Rice-Davies defence), however I’d rather use commonsense and logic.

As I’ve said, I support Class C airspace if it has a proper approach radar facility and adequate Controllers.

It is quite clear - there is a Minister’s Directive telling Airservices where they are to have Class C airspace above D to provide an approach radar facility and the proper manning.

The very fact that this Directive still remains and has not been reversed shows that there are many people who know that if you are to provide Class C airspace and give a high level of safety, you cannot do it at no cost.